Monday, February 11, 2008

Fried Dough ...

Also, known as Malassadas or Filhoses.

When I saw that Helen of Tartelette and Peabody of Culinary Concoctions were hosting the first ever Fried Dough Fest, I knew I had the perfect recipe! L.s' mothers Malasada. The first time I ever had one was not with L. but instead over in Honolulu at Leonards. I fell in love ... who could resist fried dough, stuffed with coconut cream! I love them so much that I eat them twice if not three times a day when I am over there; nothing like stuffing oneself before stuffing yourself into a swimsuit! Then I met L. and found out he was Portuguese and from San Miguel Island, where these morsels orginated - what a lucky girl was I, a hunky guy who's mother could make these for me or better yet teach me how to make them, then I could stuff myself silly full of fried dough!

They are really pretty simple to make. A easy yeast dough that you let rise for a couple hours, heat up some FAT and fry baby, fry, then dust them with a little sugar! Remember, not to think about your diet as you are inhaling them, because one is never enough!

10 comments:

Brilynn said...

I don't think I could resist anything stuffed with coconut cream, these sound delicious!

Anonymous said...

I'm Portuguese also and from Hawaii. We made malasadas for the first time this year. Used the Punahou School Carnival recipe and it was really good.

Oh, and do I miss Leonard's malasadas. When I was in high school, we'd get a dozen in that pink box and almost finish them on the way home. They didn't have fillings in those days...a long time ago.

Deborah said...

Fried dough stuffed with coconut cream?? I could never pass these up!!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

What a tease! They sound wonderful. They look fantastic.
No recipe?!?

Helene said...

They sound wonderful! Hope you can post the recipe soon!

Madam Chow said...

Leonards, yes! I lived in Honolulu for years, and malasadas from Leonard's are a fond memory that you just revived!

Anonymous said...

Wow. They sound delicious! Post the recipe!

Gretchen Noelle said...

These sound easy and look delicious! Coconut Cream? It all sounds too good to be true!

Chez Us said...

As soon as I get permission I will post this secret recipe! It is really yum.

Anonymous said...

hello. would like to know if its possible to put the leftover dough in the ref or freezer. if so, how long do they last? i plan on making malasadas too. :-)