Sunday, December 9, 2007

Christmas Cookies

Susan over at Food Blogga is hosting a Christmas Cookies extravaganza. I had to bring some cookies to our annual cookie exchange party and figured I would kill two birds with one stone so to say. I normally bake up a storm during the holidays but time has just slipped away and this year, this will probably be it! Do enjoy!

I made some of our favorites around here, the traditional French Macarons. I decided to use Helen's recipe minus the peanuts. I did tweak it a bit, see my version here. I normally use a much more complex recipe and I have to say, I really liked how this one turned out. (mums, the word) I may be switching!

I filled them with a traditional Italian buttercream - one filling was a very dark chocolate and the other was flavored with crushed candy canes.

2 comments:

Helene said...

All my life I made macarons using the Italian meringue base which is more complex, but more time consuming. Since I found this recipe in one of Pierre Herme'sbooks I have completely adopted it. Easier,faster and less sweet than the other one. What a nice thing to bring to friends!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I'm so excited you shared these macarons--they're the first ones in the round up. And what would Eat Christmas cookies be without macarons? I love the idea of adding crushed candy canes; it's so refreshing and festive. Thanks for participating!
-Susan