Sunday, October 28, 2007

One Bostini Cream Pie & Two Forks, Please

The Daring Bakers strike again! Our hostess for this month's challenge was Mary over at Alpine Berry and she chose the Bostini Cream Pie. The original recipe is from Donna Scala & Kurtis Baguley of Bistro Don Giovanni in the Napa Valley as well as Scala's Bistro in San Francisco. By the way, the mashed potatoes at Scala's have even more butter in them than the Bostini!

Long story short, I put this challenge off until the very last moment - today! I just was not that inspired, maybe it was because I am not a big fan of the Boston Cream Pie and this was all to similar. Then I thought about it ... my man is from Boston, the Red Sox's will probably win the series and I should just challenge myself regardless if I like Boston Cream Pie or not. So, I seized the bull by the horns and did it! The recipe is very straight-forward and simple. I think I was done within two hours. My custard came out really nice - even though it did not set in the molds; but, I did anticipate this, so I saved some just in case. My cake had a spring to its step and the blood orange juice/zest I used was divine. You can not go wrong with dark bittersweet chocolate and butter for a glaze!

As I mentioned I was suspect on the custard in the mold and I am glad I went with my gut .... it did not work. So, I spooned the leftover custard on a plate and went from there! The outcome, we both really enjoyed it! The creamy vanilla custard was fantastic with the orange cake and a bit of chocolate. Would I make it again, Yes; but, for company who do not have a heart condition - something like 1000 calories a serving!

35 comments:

Sheltie Girl said...

Yep...this dessert is good for weight gain. I think I did...but it might have been due to eater error.

Beautiful Bostini's!

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

Unknown said...

wow that is beautiful, you did great i want to eat the pictures :)

Brilynn said...

I waited until the las minute too, but it looks like it turned out well, nicely done!

BC said...

Great job and perfect timing for Boston!

Gigi said...

Your Bostini's look delicious, as do the photos. Well done!

slush said...

I put it off till the last minute too bc Im not a fan either. But it was ok with a small portion.

Photos are beautiful!

Anita said...

Beautiful plating - I love the photos!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't make it again either as I feel there are many easier ways to reach the end product. Good job :)

Deborah said...

I was a procrastinator as well - and I was really surprised that I liked it too! Yours looks wonderful!

David T. Macknet said...

I think that the whole custard thing is a conspiracy, and that somebody must have altered the quantities or something, 'cause more than half of us didn't get it to hold any shape whatsoever. :)

Andrea said...

I also waited until the last minute! Yours look so pretty and the photos are great!

April said...

Your bostini is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Nice job! I love the shape you used!

Chris said...

The Bostini looks fabulous!

Lis said...

Looks so good, Denise! I love the stars sitting on the pool of custard. *swoon*

Beautiful photos!

xoxo

Unknown said...

I guess since my halved verion fed 8 it was "only" 500 calories per serving. Wow!

Jen Yu said...

Yay! You did it and it looks awesome! The star shape cake is so cute :)


-jen at use real butter

Anonymous said...

Glad you did this challenge and enjoyed it...me to...but I ignored the high calorie count and just yummed it up. My custard would not hold a shape either, but it was so rich and velvety that I didn't care. Nice photos, too.
Elle of Feeding My Enthusiasms

Julie said...

Blood orange sounds like a wonderful addition! I'm glad you ended up enjoying the dessert even though you weren't initially inspired by it. You did a wonderful job with it!

Alpineberry Mary said...

I am normally totally last minute with the DB challenges too but since I was hosting I had to do it the very first weekend. Blood orange sounds delicious. Nice job!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I suppose it would be kind to ask about heart conditions in guest and not serve this to them! And likewise I suspect 1000 calories a serving is probably a low estimate.
I think probably the pool of custard is about right for this one. The star is a lovely shape for the cake.
Very nicely done!

marias23 said...

Lovely, lovely job! Did you use a star-shaped cutter? Very cute!

Dagmar said...

Your bostinis look beautiful! I love the star shapes!

Chez Us said...

Thank you everyone for your kind words! I am hoping to get thru all the DB's this week - got thru the A's today! Marias23, I used these molds, I use them a lot for baking .. they are great and look fantastic when you give as gifts!
http://www.surlatable.com/product/kitchenbakeware/bread+%26+brioche+molds/paper+baking+mold%2C+rectangular%2C+set+of+12.do

breadchick said...

Great job on the challenge AND thanks for the link to "on the table" molds!! Can't wait to get some!!!

Christine said...

I love the star shape! Great presentation, too.

Another question -- Is that the moka pot you own on your sidebar? I was thinking of purchasing one but someone told me not to because it doesn't work very well on an electric range. I was considering buying an electric moka pot but I'm not sure.

Annemarie said...

Great job and I love your little stars. I hope your Boston man stayed happy for several days!

Julius said...

I love you star-shaped Bostini,and must try blood oranges next time.

Julius, The Occasional Baker

Megan said...

and worth every calorie!

Dolores said...

Make that three forks. I'd like a bite. :)

Glad you found the inspiration to make these and that they turned out so well for you. The star shapes are great, and I love the camera angle you chose!

Chez Us said...

Christina, yes it is the Moka pot - we love it!!! We now us a Breville espresso maker but when we have people over we use the Moka .... it has been great for us!! We used one in Europe as well and it was on an electric stove, worked just fine!

Helene said...

That's when you say "Thank Heaven for Spinning!!". Great Job Denise!

Jenny said...

Nice work! I like the idea of using the blood orange.

Gabi said...

Beautiful job Denise!
Blood orange- very seasonal and cool!
xoxo

Peabody said...

Sorry the custard didn't set like you wanted it too...it looks lovely though.